Wednesday 1 December 2010

Buy Nothing Day

Right so this was a brief to try and advertise and persuade the public to not spend money on the 27th November, as it's Buy Nothing Day. I'm a stubborn larl bastard and I knew that if somebody told me to day this by giving me a flyer or showing me a poster I wouldn't do it, it'd have to be something I went away and looked into myself. 
Keeping this in mind I decided to make it so that the poster/leaflet's purpose was to get people to look on the website and read about it themselves, and then decide wether they liked the ideas behind it (www.buynothingday.co.uk) and whether they would want to contribute. 
Also taking into consideration that there must be more stubborn people out there than me, I decided to create the slogan "I Double Dare You" because if I'm ever dared to do something, I'll want to do it just to spite the person who dared me. So all I included on my posters was that slogan and the website, so people would see the "dare" and be intrigued by it and go on it, and form their own opinion. 

Anyway, here are my final ideas.


This is like the 5th one of these because I wasn't happy with the first ones and I don't really like this one that much but I do like the way the orange and the yellow on the card and scissors stand out because they're in focus and rest isn't, I think it looks quite good. I experimented with the text down along the bottom and up the side and ended up with it just like this. 


Then I went onto photoshop and decided just to mess about with text and colour.
Right so this one was basically just Helvetica (<333) in really bold text with the website in red, so it's eye-catching and so the viewer knows that's it's additional information to the dare that they know nothing about (YET!).
I changed the kerning of the text because it is not until I found out about kerning that I realised how horrible looking the default text is on computers. 

Below is the same font, colours etc but I added a white brush to it, giving it an almost mysterious effect. Kind of. I thought this looked quite cool and it adds to the whole unknown dare thing:


The one below was just an idea that came to me when I'd ran out of ideas with the black and red. I like the way it's quite in your face and busy and then at the bottom in the white space there's just the website. I originally had the red at the bottom in the middle but it didn't stand out enough so I made it smaller and put it in a blank white space:



I used the green and grey that www.buynothingday.co.uk uses for these:



 I think the top one looks like some sort of xbox advert. I like the bottom one because I think the green just looks really nice with the grey. 
I think although there is only one bit of text and it is in the bottom right, it looks really effect because the way I view it is that people read from lift to right and top to bottom, so if you have a basically blank page but then something across the bottom, (especially the bottom right) then the viewer will take in the whole page, because that is the way their eye automatically views things, rather than placing it at the top of the page with nothing underneath, as there eye won't take in the rest of the page. 

No comments:

Post a Comment